Monday, 17 December 2007

Arthur Rackham

Arthur Rackham produced elaborate illustrations for children's literature and fairy tales, and also for some adult books.
"to make my small elves coats" illustration above is from A Midsummer Night's Dream. It clearly shows what's going on...little elves making coats. He's used lots of clues to show this and to make it obvious for the viewer. I'm a fan of fairytale illustrations and Rackham is my favourite. His drawings have so much character and life to them, and it's always fun to try to figure out what's going on in each illustration. It makes your mind run wild. The colour palette he uses is unusual but lovely. The darkness of it gives an oddness and unusual feeling to the illustrations which I love. His use of line and detail is amazing...each illustration of his I've seen have been quite mysterious and eerie.

No comments: