Saturday, 24 February 2007

INTERACTION: Toy Theatre

This is a toy theatre for Penny Plain Twopence coloured by Pollock's. Toy Theatres were quite popular in the Victorian/Edwardian periods with children. The figures could be moved to any area as wished in the theatre set, which makes it very interactive.

I'm thinking of making a toy theatre for my final piece, so this is the reason why I've chosen this as an example to look at. The decoration is stunning and it's very detailed, and the colours are quite dark which I like alot. I'm very interested in the way that the theatre has been constructed so that there's imagery or a background in every side of the theatre that can be viewed from most angles. Obviously, the audience is children, but it can also be used by adults. This is what I'm going to do with my final idea too.

A toy theatre is very interactive, and can be normal, passive, active, extrovert and introvert, show, hide and opposite. This idea will therefore be a great help and inspiration towards my ideas.

No comments: