Wednesday, 7 February 2007

Futurist typography









This image to the left is Fortunato Depero's famous 1927 Depero Futurista (also known as The Nailed Book) book. The printed word was extremely important to the art movement Futurism. The movement's beginnings were based in poetry and literature produced in magazines, pamphlets and books.




Since the Futurist movement was born of the machine age, to the Futurists the design and production of a book was symbolic of that age. Modern materials and methods were employed. This book to the left is an example of this!



I've never really looked at futurist typography before, and now that I've looked at it, I find it incredibly interesting. The text is quite modern looking for the era that futurism was around (in the early 1900's). That's what I find so appealing about it. The text is very eye catching and very creative in the way that it's done e.g. some of the text I've found were done at angles, or even in circle shapes, some had multiple sizes within one word, and like the example above, they used two different colours.



The text in my booklet has been inspired by futurism! I've changed sizes of my text throughout some of the words that I was presenting, I've used the effect that's shown above with the two colours, and I've done some of my text so that it's flowing like a wave. I think by doing all of these futurist inspired typography in my booklet, it's added much more appeal to the viewer as there's more to it than just having plain, boring text that's presented in the usual manner of being on straight horizontal lines.

This is an example of one of my pages in my booklet which has been inspired by futurist typography. I've used the two coloured text effect like the example shown above, and I've played around with different sizes of the text and been quite experimental-the 'what a waste of time' in the black silhouttted wavy line.










No comments: