Sunday, 11 February 2007

Edward Tufte

This is by Edward Tufte which is taken from his book 'Beautiful Evidence' 2006.


Martin Kemp, Nature, "The world's leading analyst of graphic information."

He's has been described by The New York Times as "the Leonardo da Vinci of Data", and he's an expert in the presentation of informational graphics such as charts and diagrams.

Edward Tufte has one main idea that he works with! This is to show as much data as possible with as little ornamentation as possible. To Tufte, information becomes art.

I myself can't understand how information can be art, and how somebody like Tufte can have so much passion with graphs and charts. The image above from his book are photos from a 1940s instruction book for skiing. It's meant to demonstrate one concept: Good design is timeless, while bad design can be a matter of life and death. I find this page above very bland, boring, and I really can't understand how it can be interesting to look at. I'm not a fan of Tuftes work at all, and that's why my booklet hasn't been inspired by his work. My booklet hasn't got graphs or charts in it to get my information across. I've simply just used illustrations and symbols to get my information across.

No comments: